Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Join Handshake to apply for open student positions. Attach a student application, resume (optional), and your course schedule.
Hours Per Week
Students can work 20 hours per week, not to exceed 6 hours in any given day, during fall and spring semesters as long as they are enrolled in at least 6 hours of classes during the semester in which they are working.
Students can work 29 hours per week, not to exceed 7 hours in any given day, during intersessions and summer blocks as long as they are enrolled in at least 3 hours of classes during the applicable intersession/summer block in which they are working.
- Winter intersession requires current fall enrollment AND spring pre-enrollment
- May intersession requires current spring enrollment AND pre-May intersession and/or summer block enrollment
- August intersession requires fall enrollment
To work days in December after commencement, students must have been enrolled in a fall course at ECU AND provide proof of spring pre-enrollment. A fall work permit will be required.
To work days in May after commencement, students must have been enrolled in a spring course at ECU AND provide proof of pre-May intersession and/or summer block enrollment. A spring work permit will be required.
Pay Period & Direct Deposit
Pay periods start on the first working day of the month and go to the last working day of the month.
Pay day is the 12th of each month and reflects the previous month's hours worked.
Students must sign up for direct deposit to a:
- Checking account
- Savings account
- Tiger card account
A direct deposit form can be obtained through ECU's Employment Services Office (Adm 160).
Change of Address, Name, or SSN
Students changing their name or address can do so in the Records Office (Adm 111) and in Colleague Self-Service:
- User Options
- User Profile
Radical Candor in 6 Minutes with Kim Scott
What To Do First
- Post a job ad at ecok.joinhandshake.com (see step-by-step instructions in Supervisor's Materials box).
- Review applications and setup interviews.
- Hire a student.
- Update Handshake applicants (see Handshake Job Post Instructions below).
- First day of work, the student needs to obtain a work permit:
- Email the director with the following information:
- Student's name
- Student's ID#
- Student's hours enrolled for current semester
- If student doesn't qualify for work study, attach a Conditional Offer Student Employment letter (see Supervisor's Materials box).
- Once the work permit is approved, the student and director will receive an email, and the director will forward to the appropriate supervisor.
- If they have worked on campus before, they are ready to go.
- If they have not worked on campus before, they will receive and email stating they need to fill out a new employee packet from Employment Services, Adm 160.
- The completed packet will need to be returned to Employment Services.
- Employment Services will ask to see a picture ID and a social security card or birth certificate.
- Begin training the student.
Materials to be Sent to the Library Director
New Student Assistant Checklist (August 2022)
After a new student employee has completed all the required training, send this form to the Library Director. Mandatory training should be completed before the first time sheet is finalized (opens a new tab).
Student Assistant Training Report (November 2011)
This report is due to your supervising librarian at the end of each fall and spring semester. The librarians will forward to the Library Director in December & May (opens a new tab).
Training Module Quiz Answers
Answers to the quizzes can be found at K:\Library\Administrative\Personnel\Training Materials\Student.
Student Training Materials
All students must have a valid work permit BEFORE working.
To be eligible to work, students must be enrolled at least half-time:
- Undergraduate students, 6 hours in fall or spring or 3 for summer.
- Graduate students, 4 hours in fall or spring or 3 for summer.
Fall work permits begin August 1st and extend to December 31st. Returning students DO NOT need to get a spring work permit. The fall permit will be extended thru May.
Spring work permits begin January 1st and extend to May 31st. Only new students starting on or after January 1st will need to get a spring work permit. The spring permit will be extended thru May.
Summer work permits begin June 1st and extend to July 31st.
Work permits can be accessed online via Etrieve - ES - Request for Student Work Permit.
- Email the director with student's name, ID#, and # of hours enrolled for the semester.
- For students that have never worked on campus before, they'll need to pick up a New Employee packet at Employment Services in the Administration Building, Rm 160.