Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Take A Step Toward Equity & Justice
Learning about the issues surrounding equity and justice is a lifelong journey that may seem overwhelming at first.
This page will help guide you into that journey, one step at a time.
Finding DEI Resources
Books, Films, TV
Read stories or watch films and TV series written by people in marginalized communities. To find recommendations for books:
- Search #OwnVoices and #WeNeedDiverseBooks
- Check out book awards and book lists that recognize diversity, like We Need Diverse Books
- Reading lists that challenge traditional canon, such as #DisruptTexts
- See the Library Resources page on this guide.
- Talk to a librarian!
Informational & News Media
- Read non-fiction texts written from diverse perspectives
- Search for diverse content in your field by adding the words "multicultural perspective" or "critical pedagogy" to the name of your discipline. For example, "critical pedagogy history" or "multicultural perspective sociology".
- Search for general non-fiction texts with terms like "race relations", "social justice", "inequality", "anti-racism", or "oppression".
- Consume news and media authored by marginalized communities. Search for the name of the marginalized community + news, for example "Native American news".
- Follow diverse thought-leaders and organizations on social media
- Search for "social justice organizations" or the name of the marginalized community + organizations, such as "LGBTQ+ organizations"
- Look up the creators of diverse books, films and TV series and follow them on social media
- Follow organizations and offices representing marginalized populations at ECU (links open a new window)
ECU Professional Development
News Literacy for Virtual Protestors
Explore DEI Topics
Inclusive Design is a methodology, born out of digital environments, that enables and draws on the full range of human diversity. See what Microsoft is doing with inclusive design. (Opens a new tab)
An emergent, collaborative curriculum which aims to create equity-focused, open, connected, intercultural learning experiences across classes, countries, and contexts. (opens a new tab)
Race, Class, and Higher Education
A series of virtual panels on race, class, and the role of higher education in promoting equity, hosted by The Chronicle of Higher Education. (opens a new tab)
Race on Campus
A newsletter delivered each Tuesday by The Chronicle of Higher Education. (opens a new tab)